Different Disney princesses and new superheroes may rotate through the costume aisles each year, but cat costumes will always be a Halloween classic. Not only are black cats an emblem of the holiday (right up there with witches and ghosts!), but the kids' costume idea also couldn't be easier to DIY.
The no-fuss look comes together with just a few pieces—including cat ears and a cat tail—whether store-bought or made-from-scratch (see what we did there?). Don't forget the cat makeup!
Cat Halloween Costume for Girls
Talk about a purr-fect last-minute idea that works for all ages. Here's how to re-create this girl's cat costume:
- Grab a , , and tights—all of which you probably already have in the closet.
- Cut rounded triangles from and slightly smaller rounded triangles from .
- the two pieces together as shown and adhere to a .
- To add a tail to your black cat costume, cut apart a wire hanger, bend as desired, and wrap with a , hot-gluing as you go.
Tip: The makeup can be as minimal or as detailed as you like. Draw on a few quick black lines with for a quick and easy look.
Cat Halloween Costume for Baby Boys
Have you ever seen a cuddlier kitten? This sweet ensemble starts with a , but older boys could just dress all in black:
- Cut triangles from and sew or hot-glue to the front.
- Affix to for cat ears that double as warm wear for what can be a pretty chilly holiday. (Don't DIY? You can also for about the same price.)
Tip: Keep the makeup simple to avoid meltdowns and mess.
Cat Halloween Costume for Women
Who says you have to go as a house cat? Take advantage of the all the animal prints currently in stores and pair a leopard- or cheetah-print dress or blouse with a simple set of ears (which you can DIY or buy). Easy, peasy.
- Bend black or pipe cleaners into triangular shapes and wrap the open ends around a for ears.
- Throw on a cheetah- or or dress.
- Using a , draw a wide "V" on the tip of your nose, and line your upper lip (without dipping down into the Cupid's bow). Connect the two black shapes with a thick line.
If you're feeling ambitious, check out these other cat makeup ideas.
Plus, How to Make Shoes for Your Cat Costume