Cheesy eggs and crust—who could ask for anything more?
recipe Basic Pie Dough
slices bacon, sliced
large leeks (white and light green parts), sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
fresh thyme leaves
freshly grated nutmeg
Gruyère, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Roll chilled dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper into a 16-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan, lifting and pressing it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan; chill 1 hour. Poke bottom and sides of dough with a fork. Line with nonstick foil, leaving a 4-inch overhang. Fill with baking beans or pie weights; chill 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Bake crust 15 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights. Cover edges with foil, and continue baking until completely dry, 8 to 12 minutes. Reduce oven to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Add leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 6 to 7 minutes. Add thyme and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, milk, mustard, nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a bowl. Fold in the Gruyère, parsley, and cooked leeks.
- Scatter bacon on bottom of crust, then top with egg mixture. Wrap pan with foil and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake just until set around the edge but still wobbly in the center, and a knife inserted into the center comes out with no runny eggs attached, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cool in the pan at least 30 minutes before unmolding.
Tools you'll need: Springform pan ($22, )