Serve with homemade strawberry and rhubarb compote for extra fruity flavor.
unsalted butter, melted
large eggs, 4 large egg yolks
Meyer lemon zest, 3/4 cup juice
cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
sliced fresh (from about 3 stalks) or defrosted frozen rhubarb
vanilla bean, scraped
Sweetened whipped cream and thinly sliced lemon zest, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place Nilla wafers, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Process until fine crumbs form. Add butter, and process until mixture starts to come together (it should hold together when pinched). Transfer to a 9-inch Jadeite or glass pie plate. Use a small measuring cup to press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake until crust is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes; cool.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Whisk in whole eggs, egg yolks, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and bubbling, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest and butter until melted and smooth.
- Transfer filling to crust and smooth top. Cool to room temperature and then chill until set, 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, and vanilla bean in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is broken down, 10 to 12 minutes; cool.
- Top pie with whipped cream and lemon zest. Serve with compote alongside.