Food-borne illnesses have , and the latest case is its worst yet. According to the , more than 700 illnesses have been reported since July 26 related to a possible food-borne illness outbreak. Thankfully, it seems to be contained to one store — at least 703 of those illnesses are from people who ate at a single location in Powell, OH (9733 Sawmill Parkway).
Per the Dayton newspaper, the source of the outbreak has not yet been identified, and tests for Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli and Norovirus have come back negative. A recent the black beans and pinto beans weren't kept at a high enough temperature and lettuce was not properly refrigerated after preparation. However, both violations were said to be corrected that day.
According to , no other Chipotle outbreak has caused so many illnesses at once. The Powell restaurant was immediately closed once illnesses were discovered, reports, with employees following Chipotle's food safety protocol, which includes replacing food and cleaning the restaurant.
So far, at least two lawsuits have been brought against Chipotle related to the Ohio outbreak. Attorney Ron Simon, who represents one person still receiving medical treatment after eating food at the restaurant, told the paper this: "This is the first of many lawsuits we will be filing on behalf of local residents who were sickened by contaminated Chipotle food. We have handled hundreds of claims against Chipotle as this is Chipotle’s seventh food poisoning outbreak in the last 3 years."
Delish has reached out to Chipotle for comment on the situation, but at time of publication had not yet heard back. We'll update this story as more information becomes available.