This grilled chicken deserves a spot in your weekly dinner rotation.
Quick tip: To remove a chicken's backbone, insert kitchen shears in cavity and cut entire length on one side of the backbone. Rotate the chicken 180 degrees, then cut along the other side.
(2 1/2- to 30-pound) chicken, backbone removed and chicken flattened
cloves garlic, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Parmesan, grated (about 1/4 cup)
chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
toasted hazelnuts or almonds, chopped
lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice
extra-virgin olive oil, divided
romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- Preheat grill to medium-high set up for direct and indirect grilling.
- Loosen skin of chicken and spread garlic underneath. Season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct heat, breast-side down, covered, until golden-brown and charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and grill over indirect heat, covered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers
165 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Parmesan, parsley, hazelnuts, lemon zest and juice, and 3 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush romaine with remaining tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill, over direct heat, turning once, until charred and wilted, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and romaine topped with the parsley-lemon sauce.