Turn your favorite childhood cereal, Honey Nut Cheerios, into a party-ready turnover treat.
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, more for work surface
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, chopped
large eggs, divided
pure almond extract
Honey Nut Cheerios
Sweet Honey Spread
Pinch of kosher salt
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resembles small peas. Whisk together 1 egg and 1/4 cup ice water. Gradually stir egg mixture into flour mixture with a fork, just until dough begins to form a ball (add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary).
- Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic wrap, using wrap to press dough into disks. Wrap plastic around dough and chill until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Roll dough, on a lightly floured work surface, into 8-by-15-inch rectangles. Cut each into 10 (3-by-4-inch) rectangles. Stack rectangles between layers of parchment paper; cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Stir together preserves and almond extract in a bowl. Beat remaining egg with milk in a separate bowl. Working with one rectangle of dough at a time, top with 1 tablespoon preserves mixture, spreading almost to edges. Brush edges with egg mixture. Top with a second piece of dough and press edges with a fork to seal. Place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, preserve mixture, and egg wash. Brush pies with egg wash; freeze 20 minutes.
- Make honey spread: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, sour cream, pure honey, and a pinch of kosher salt in a bowl until smooth.
- Bake, rotating pans once, until golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer turnovers to wire racks to cool completely. Spread tops with Sweet Honey Spread and sprinkle with Honey Nut Cheerios and sprinkles.