Mother's Day marks an important holiday to honor the woman who raised you. She'll always appreciate a meaningful gift or an at-home family brunch, but sometimes the best way to bond and reiterate "I love you" is to share a bit of scripture. There's no shortage of Mother's Day Bible verses to get in the , from readings about love to families to female strength. This year, gather around the good book with your mom, grandmother, or even your own children and read up on some of the most encouraging and inspirational lines. Check out a few of our favorite short bible verses about mothers, love, and family below, which you can also use to sign her Mother's Day card.
Bible Verses About Mothers
- Isaiah 66:13: "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you."
- Isaiah 49:15: "Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?"
- Proverbs 31:25: "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."
- Proverbs 31:26: "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
- Proverbs 31:28–29: "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'"
- Deuteronomy 6:6–7: "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
- Proverbs 31:31: "Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
- Psalm 139:13-14: "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."
- Ezekiel 16:44: "Behold, everyone who uses proverbs will use this proverb about you: ‘Like mother, like daughter."
- Genesis 3:20: "The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living."
- 1 Peter 3:4: "You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."
Bible Verses About Love
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
- 1 Corinthians 13:13: "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
- John 15:12: "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."
- 1 John 4:19: "We love because he first loved us."
- Romans 13:8: “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law."
- 1 John 4:12: "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."
- Psalm 143:8: "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life."
- John 15:13: "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."
- Galatians 5:22-23: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."
Bible Verses About Family
- Exodus 20:12: "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you."
- Psalm 127:3: "Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward."
- 1 Timothy 5:8: "Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."
- Ephesians 4:32: "Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."
- Proverbs 1:8-9: "Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck."
- Proverbs 22:6: "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."
- Proverbs 23:22-25: "Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice."
- Acts 16:31: “They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
- Psalm 133:1: "How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!"
- 3 John 1:4: "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth."